Friday, December 22, 2006

"You wouldn't believe what this guy..."

Everyday at the Information Desk, I am continually amazed at what people will ask of librarians. Does this shirt match these pants? I need the mailing address for the leader of Somalia so I can send him a Christmas card. And I am constantly appalled by the behavior of customers: they will answer their cell phone right as they are asking you a question or right as you are answering it; they will call and ask you to do the research for their son's final research paper and put everything on hold for them so they can pick it up in a few hours.

I complain vigorously about all of the above to my colleagues, making me wonder sometimes if I am in the right profession. But today I didn't have a shift out at the Information Desk, and I missed it. I do love learning something new every day and digging for information, but I've realized that I also truly enjoy complaining about demanding customers. I'm sure that the DSM-IV has a perfect way of describing this personality quirk, but there it is!

No comments: