Wednesday, October 25, 2006

They Can Make Me Like Them








I am now officially a Hold Steady fan. I saw them at Grand Old Day a couple years ago after Separation Sunday came out. Really liked the music, but Craig Finn's speak-singing drove me nuts.

But...after a couple Boys and Girls in America reviews that said Craig Finn actually sings, I decided to give the new one a listen. I love it! Well, except for Chillout Tent... But I can even handle the lapse back into speak-singing on Same Kooks.
Luckily, a friend of mine became a hard-core fan with Separation Sunday and was up for hearing them at First Ave last night. The show was great. They played all of the the ones I liked, and didn't play Chillout Tent (though it would have been cool to see Dave Pirner come out on stage...) I'm not an "I have to be in the front row" person, but this is one show that I really wished I had been. The first 3 rows had to feel like they were the only ones in the room many times, when Mr. Finn leaned in and sang lovingly into their eyes!

Random facts: the keyboard guy is a dead ringer for a young (everyone's favorite comedian)Gallagher and Mrs. Finn's (mom's) favorite song off the new disc is Southtown Girls.


No comments: